Sunday, February 20, 2011

Apple sauce: another shopping at home experience

I don't know how a bag of apples managed to lose themselves in my fridge, but they did. I guess I just forgot I had them. They were getting a little shriveled, but not too bad. They were perfect for applesauce! Only problem I had was that the recipe didn't make much apple sauce. Maybe 2 cups or so.

Here's the recipe I used. I found it on allrecipes.com and want to give "JACKSWIFE" credit for the recipe. My additions are in italics.

Ingredients

6 cups apples - peeled, cored and chopped Or more. All measurements are approximate in my opinion
3/4 cup water weird. I don't remember adding water. Oops!
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves This and a splash of vanilla extract are key for amazing flavor!
1/2 cup white sugar Or brown sugar or splenda if you want to get all low cal on it.
1/2 cup raisins. your call on this one. some people seem to have a raisin phobia, but I liked it!

Directions
In a 2 quart saucepan over medium heat, combine apples, water, cinnamon, and cloves. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in sugar and vanilla, and simmer 5 more minutes.

I think you'll like this recipe a lot. Let me know your take on the deal. Did you eat it out of the pot while it was still warm like me? ooh...maybe that's what it seems like it didn't make much! Did you serve it with pork chops like they do in Ireland? Did you just eat it cold for lunch or breakfast? I hope you'll try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment